The living room is not only the place in your house that people first see but it is also where entertainment happens. For these reasons, it is very necessary that this part of the house should be decorated accordingly and should be turned into a place where guest can feel that they are welcomed and will get the utmost comfort. The overall design and layout of the living room should be flowing and the decors should match with the interior design or theme. If you are having trouble decorating your living room, here are some very easy tips that you can follow:
- Before anything else, the first thing that you should do is choose a theme that you want for your living room. Do you like contemporary, traditional or rustic? It’s up to you. Since the living room is a place for relaxation, fun and entertainment, make sure that you choose a theme that will make people feel relaxed and comfortable.
Bouns tip: take a look at those 33 themes by Mary Kate McGrath for ideas.
- After choosing a theme, the next thing you should do is choosing the paint colors for the living room walls and ceilings. Generally, the walls of the living room have a more detailed colors compared with other rooms in the house. For some personal touch, you can use colors that are a reflection of your style and preferences.
- The most common tip for decorating the living room is to ensure that the theme and the color match. Keep in mind that the colors should not clash.
- To add elegance and to create a warm type of environment, you do have the option to add windows to your living room.
- When decorating the living room, another very important tip is to find the focal point of the room. The focal point can be anything which people first see when they enter the room. Focal points are great eye-catchers so it could either be furniture, a lamp or a light fixture.
- If you want your living room to have that spacious and inviting effect, you can place your couch or sofa on either the corner of the wall or against the wall. It would be a great idea if the couch is positioned facing the living room’s entrance.
- A living room is utilized for fun, entertainment and most of all for social gatherings. Therefore, the chairs and couches should be placed facing each other to encourage interaction.
- Lights change the mood of a room. You can either have a dimmer installed to control the lighting of the room or you can put curtains on the windows to control the natural light from the outside. For more light, you have the option to use halogens or overhead lights.
- Add a coffee table into your living room where you can place a selection of items that will say something about you or the household. You can place magazines or hobby items in the coffee table.
- Plants and flowers can liven up a room. They can add energy and beauty to your living room, so you might consider getting a few pots of plants or a bouquet of flowers.