180

July 30, 2013 by Matthew Vickery

Image

Please circulate/re-blog/tell others/tweet etc.

Last night myself and four others went to a bar called Radio in Ashton Lane, Glasgow for the pub quiz. It was a horrific experience.

The quiz comprised sexist, misogynistic, and homophobic comments and questions, and most frightening of all, encouragement of rape and violence against women. From what I gathered, such comments happen every week, so the bar must be aware of them.

Comments and questions made included:

“What happened to the raging homo who walked from lands end to john o groats this week”

“Stephen Hawking is the biggest/most expensive vegetable, true or false?” (It was one of the two options, I was too shocked to take it in)

“Last week I was told my quiz was too male dominated, so this week we will have a whole round on tampons” (of which there subsequently was)

“Is it still rape if you kill her first?” – the answer given later was “Yes, because she can’t consent, poor her” (said sarcastically while he was laughing)

After going up and explaining exactly how his comments were horrific, and then receiving a meek ‘OK’ in return, ten minutes later the quiz host, while sniggering, went on the microphone to tell everyone that he ‘doesn’t give a fuck if people are offended’ and that he ‘will continue to make his quiz rapey’. We were also told that we were not welcome back, and that our answers from other rounds had now mysteriously been left blank, in effect punishing us for standing against what he said.

This is not just a matter of being offended. By making jokes about the killing and rape of women, by finding this funny and ‘banter’, only serves to encourage the routine everyday sexism and harassment women face every day. The attitude of joking about sexual violence against women only serves to perpetuate the high rates of rape and sexual harassment and violence against women in society, while brushing off rape jokes as ‘funny’ serves only to discourage many women from reporting harassment against them. While rape remains in society, everything must be done to stop it from happening, yet this bar is doing nothing but encouraging such violence by giving this individual a voice to laugh and joke at the expense of one half of society.

As a male I can walk around with very little fear of sexual harassment and violence against me; my female friends and family do no have that same luxury. While that remains the case, we must all fight to change it.

Please spread the word about this bar, we must hold them accountable. You can find them on Facebook here where individuals have already been leaving comments showing their disgust:

You can also tweet them at @RadioandNude

The quiz host has his own Facebook page that can be found at:

****UPDATE can be found here: http://whatsleftoftheleft.com/2013/07/30/update-is-it-still-rape-if-you-kill-her-first-pub-quiz-question-from-radio-bar-glasgow/

180 thoughts on ““Is it still rape if you kill her first?” – Pub Quiz question from Radio bar, Glasgow

1. claire says:

So who won the quiz in the end? Well, £50 was at stake and there’s recession on.

2. elaine says:

Disgusting violence against woman is wrong full stop!!!! Quiz master needs to have a serious think, and yes Dave it is very offensive, Anyone in the audience may have went through a rape ordeal or know some one who has.

3. Jenny Barlow says:

This whole thing absolutely STINKS of Jenny Barlow who seems to have a hate campaign on the go for G1, it couldn’t be anymore sad and pathetic.

• Hi there. I have no idea who that is, which may be because I am not from Glasgow and am in the city visiting, so I very much doubt your theory is correct. . .

All my best.

• Jenny Barlow (no, actually) says:

Haha, no wasn’t me. Never censored my name on any other opinion/comment regarding G1 and not a feminist so wouldn’t be writing to this website (or any other) anonymously. This comment was sent to me by a friend. So thanks, its amused me.

G1 makes (another) embarrassing mistake and the staff’s first response? Throw your dummy out about me? Haha.

No hate campaign, just happy to highlight how badly managed/run this joke of a company is.

Rather than call me pathetic maybe you should think about how your CV will look for your next job with this bad press, and the rest, attached to the ‘G1′ brand? Good luck.

• seralu says:

I always find it sad when women say they’re not feminists. Feminism being defined as equal social, political and economic rights for both sexes. This quote from Caitlin Moran puts it better than I could

“When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist – and only 42% of British women – I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of ‘liberation for women’ is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? ‘Vogue’ by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good shit GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”

4. Reblogged this on Over hills and far away… and commented:
    Sometimes the world just makes me go ‘Seriously??!!???’

5. […] At What’s Left of the Left? Matthew Vickery posted yesterday about his experiences with a highly misogynist MC at a trivia night in a pub local to Glasgow, England.  Most recently it […]

6. Adrian says:

…you might want to change that to “Glasgow, Scotland”.

7. […] “Is it still rape if you kill her first?” – Pub Quiz question from Radio bar, Glas… (whatsleftoftheleft.com) […]

8. Sean Egan says:

A male feminist eh? How fantastically irrelevant. I, for one, welcome the Barbara Streisand effect you have created for the G1 Group. I hate G1 as much as the next man, but I would more than imagine you have done them a wonder in free PR. Good effort fella.

You have cost a man (some of) his income. You should be ashamed.

You sir, are destined to the dustbin of the blogosphere.

• Adrian says:

“I have absolutely no problem with what the quiz master said”.

Rape victims do. Women do. People do. Humans do. You don’t. So fucking what.

“You have cost a man some of his income”.

If you’re a student, making money from peddling adolescent, immature and disgustingly offensive “jokes” in some shitty chain pub, then I’m sorry, but you’re doing it wrong.

• Steve says:

you are correct

• Matt says:

Sean, what the hell is the matter with you? To trivialise rape humour is wrong. To even trivialise the subject of rape in general is even worse.

If any female relative of yours had been a victim of rape then I doubt very much that you’d be ok with this sort of attitude. Not if you had seen the long term effects that being a victim of rape can have.

As you say, this is the 21st century. Why does the blogger’s sexuality need to be mentioned whatsoever? I doubt that it has any baring on the subject matter.

You sir, need to ditch your caveman attitude.

• David McEwan says:

“Anyway, on to the crux of the matter. This is the 21st century. I have absolutely no problem with what the quiz master said that night. None whatsoever. If you, a shifty left-leaning liberal homosexual wish to blog about your objections to it, and put a man out of a job, then I will object to that.”…. “I may not agree with everything everyone says, but I will stand by their right to say it.”

So your point about people can say what they want…. but you have a problem with this article because the man said what he wants…. means… ummmmm…..

Contradiction maybe?

• Lizzy says:

Sean, how about you have some disgusting strangers penis shoved in you against your will, then perhaps you will have more of a problem with the quiz masters comments rather than his income…

9. Stewart says:

Sean,

You Sir, are contributing to the problem. I’m unsurprised that you have no problem with the jokes told that night considering you use ‘homosexual’ as an insult to the writer. You are just as bigoted, sexist and mysoginist as the quizmaster you feel so bad for due to the fact he’s down a few quid on his wage packet. How about stopping for a moment and thinking about how the countless numbers of victims of sexual violence and harassment may feel after hearing those jokes that you have no problem with.

A ‘Male Feminist’ you say? Yes, there are a lot of us. Get used to us as we’re not going anywhere.

10. […] “Is is still rape if you kill her first?” – Pub quiz question from Radio bar, Glasgow What’s left of the left, 30th July 2013 […]

11. weeyoda says:

Mate, you really need to lighten up and stop shoving your beliefs down everyones throats. You are trying to rally support for suppressing freedom of speech!?!?! Many people, throughout history, have died to give us that right and you have just laughed in their faces by posting this pish….Why didn’t you just leave the bar if you were so offended by the comments that were being made??
    Whilst I in no way support violence in any shape or form, against women, or men, I would never be offended by a joke. A joke is exactly what it is…a joke.
    What gives you the right to tell him to stop as if you were speaking on behalf of everyone in the bar?….again, if you were offended, why didn’t you just leave.
    There are far too many self righteous people these days spewing out their own opinions on what we should or shouldn’t say and then telling everyone to “Please circulate/re-blog/tell others/tweet etc”….like we give a f*ck what you personally think….well I obviously do or I wouldn’t be writing this guff in the first place…but my message to you is, please stop talking pish and buy a few bras to burn, that will keep you entertained for a wee while eh ;-)

• Stewart says:

The point is not limit anyone’s freedom of speech. The point is, if you’re going to make a rape joke, then advance the conversation. The outcome of an ‘edgy’ joke shouldn’t be more women feeling mariginalised or contributing to a culture where sexual assault and harassment is OK.

• Adrian says:

“Buy a few bras to burn”. You really are one of the fucking worst, aren’t you? And here we are, another predictable “freedom of speech” argument. I think the new Nuts magazine is out, that’ll entertain you for a while, I’m sure. Fucking neanderthal.

12. Kelt says:

This is some pretty funny shit :) *smiley face* Of course it isn’t rape.

13. Sarah says:

I was actually at Radio that night, and I think to say you’re being completely unfair is an understatement. People make mistakes, it was a distasteful joke, I’ll give you that, but the important thing to remember here is you have never met this boy outside of this context in your life. Who doesn’t make a joke at the expense of others now and then? We are not every word we say. To refer to this as what some people are calling “hate-speech” is ludicrous.

Furthermore, as a frequent customer of Radio, the kind of jokes that you are so offended by have been encouraged for months by the management team, and so for them to pass the buck onto the quizmaster (rather new quizmaster in fact) is shameful. The last quizmaster was the exact same in his humour, which I don’t think is deserving of this amount of backlash.

Yes, it was a silly thing to say. But you’ve overreacted monumentally. Get over it. People go there every week; it’s something that was encouraged by the returning customers. God, people are so self-righteous! Have you never made an inappropriate joke you wish certain people never heard?

• Adrian says:

You’ve got to understand the difference between making offensive jokes amongst pals, knowing everyone’s stance, everyone’s understanding of the satire taking place… and blatantly telling rape jokes in a fucking bar full of strangers, some of whom are stupid, susceptible first year students who will see this and think “hey, rape jokes are okay in this town!”… “I’ll tell this one to my friends too!”… thus gradually reducing the seriousness of the subject matter and desensitising younger people to the impact and cruel, sadistic nature of rape.

And take a quick look at the quizmaster’s Facebook. It’s rife with immature, pathetic, dirty jokes from two dirty little boys who shouldn’t legally be allowed in grown-ups’ pubs. The problem is that they’re contributing to this misogynistic, pathetic attitude that people should be laughing at rape jokes in public domains which they JUST FUCKING SHOULDN’T. AT ALL.

When your best friend tells a rape joke, there’s a satirical understanding, a confidence and reassurance that THIS IS A JOKE, and we KNOW. When you go to see Roy Chubby Brown or his contemporary Frankie Boyle, you know what to expect, you are primed. But in a Glasgow student bar, this is just disgusting and deeply wrong.

• richard merchant says:

If someone persistently and without warning makes rape jokes to the general public in a city where hundreds of rapes happen each year (450 last official count although the true figure is certainly higher), the best that can be said is that they are utterly insular, stupid and arrogant. Why defend them?

Nobody’s really calling for punishment or attacking the quizmaster anyway. So what if he gets made to feel ashamed – he did something wrong. It will be a useful life experience.

• Eirene says:

Brave men, who dare to stand up against horrible sexism. I can’t understand how a WOMAN can justifiy these comments. How is a rape joke like that ever funny? 30% of women encounter sexual violence in their life. Seeming psychopaths like this quiz master encourage that. In a Chinese tribe where woman decide who they’ll marry, and when he’s allowed in bed, they do not even have a word for rape.

14. […] do exist. Yet the idea of a ‘male feminist’ still seems to confuse many men. Indeed, after my blog post exposing a sexist pub quiz went viral last month, I received many tweets and comments from men who […]

15. […] exists a few of us. Yet the idea of a male feminist still seems to confuse many men. Indeed after a blog post of mine, exposing a sexist pub quiz in Glasgow went viral last month, I received many tweets and […]

16. […] a few of us. Yet the idea of a male feminist still seems to confuse many men. Indeed after a blog post of mine, exposing a sexist pub quiz in Glasgow went viral last month, I received many tweets and […]

17. And I thought women-in-the-kitchen jokes were bad! That’s just disgusting on so many levels, I can’t believe no one’s pressing charges (can you? In Scotland, I mean? I know that in certain situations implications of rape could get you in trouble). Anyway, kudos to you for trying to enlighten that block of human waste. I would’ve slapped him with a wet brick, and I normally don’t go that far this fast, but after seeing this on their page: (Ladies indulge in some sexism of the good kind tonight! Jack will shake you up some cocktails & you will benefit from all our promos! £1.50 vodka mix & £2 for a Mojito!) I think I’m allowed to be a little angry. And now I REALLY want to blog about the sandwich jokes- thanks for the inspiration? XD

Honestly though, we could use more guys like you in this world. Keep it up, while I venture further into your blog :D

18. kiki2point0 says:

I sent this link over to my friend at http://makemeasammich.org/. I have a weird and twisted sense of humor. But some things are taken just a little too far.

19. dalecooper57 says:

Good grief. This is as bad as a genuine question in the board game “Therapy” (a game based on the concept of mental illness and analysis from the late ’70s) The question was apparently from a survey of male US college students;
    “What percentage of those surveyed said they would rape a girl on the first date if she refused sex?”
    Answer – 70% !

You should name and shame the quizmaster.

20. ZinalBhadra says:

It is unbelievable how insensitive people can be. It’s just so disgusting. I just have one word for such people and their small minds, ‘PITY’.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

21. Thenextmillionaire says:

It’s really good that your denouncing this, and I feel relieved to know that there is still some sane people who would fight against this. Those may be jokes but it encourages violence against women by making fun of the facts. Thanks for posting this!

22. Katherine says:

Reblogged this on How my heart speaks and commented:
    I can hardly believe this can be allowed

23. This is so appalling. I don’t even have words.
    But thankful to you for bringing attention to it!

24. beijas says:

How wonderful that you took a stand! Thank you for your courage and outrage.

25. Hi there. Merely planned to ask an instant question. I’m arranging
    my own, personal blog and also would want to learn where you’ve gott your concept?
    Seemed to be it no cost? Or perhaps ended up being the
    item paid for? I can’t seem to discover whatever as effective as that one, consequently
    hopefully you possibly can let me learn. Thank you. PS, the i’m sorry.

English is just not my very first words.

26. 999 An essential piece of each female wardrobe are her footwear.

27. I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things,
    The website style is great, the articles is really nice :
    D. Good job, cheers